What's Hot in Hogye - Getting Started in My New City


This is my wonderful town of Hogye-dong, in the Buk-gu district of the city of Ulsan in South Korea. This is where I live and work, about a 35 minute bus ride north of the main downtown area of the city (at least on a good day when the traffic isn't bad).

One of these days, I'll hike up onto the mountains in the background and get some better, more elevated pictures, so you can understand just how beautiful it is in this valley I live in.


This is the side road that all the buses have to take to get into Hogye, or "Speed Bumb Road" as I've designated it. There's at least 15 speed bumps from start to finish. It was really annoying at first, but I've learned to appreciate it because now I can fall asleep on the bus on my way home without worrying about missing my stop because the bumps will always wake me up just as we're getting to Hogye.



This is Hogye from afar, viewed from the crossing of the train tracks and "Speed Bump Road". I got off here one day to take some pictures and go hiking nearby. 



We got to walk along the railroad tracks and take some pictures with Hogye in the distance.



This is the first street I turn down to get to my apartment off the main road that goes through Hogye.


This is my apartment building, 뜨란채.


To get into the building there is a key pad and an automatic sliding glass door.


My room is just up 2 flights of stairs, room number 303. Most apartments here have electronic key pads to lock the door instead of a hard lock. I love it because I never have to worry about forgetting my keys!


The inside of my apartment is pretty simple. It looks small in pictures, but I think it's actually a perfect size for one person. Plus, I've got a big bed and a much bigger kitchen than most of the other apartments I've seen.


This is the Elementary school that I work at, Sincheon Elementary (신천초등학교). My co-teacher told me it means "little creak". The whole area is named for the small creek of a tributary to the big river that goes through this part of town. It's to the left of the red road in this picture.



This is the entrance to the "English wing" of the school (It's not really a "wing" though, just one large classroom). It's also the hallway that leads to the gym at the end, so I get screaming children running down the halls at all hours of the day. I also found it very funny that of the 4 flags they chose to include in the hallway, they chose the 3 of the four largest English speaking countries and then New Zealand, completely leaving out Canada.




This is the inside of my classroom. It's quite large, with room for 34 students, a mini "computer lab" area, a library area, and the English office (in a separate room behind that window where the clock is). 


My desk is here, at the front of the classroom. (There is no room for me in the "English office" room because it is tiny and can barely fit the 3 desks for the 3 teachers that are in there.

I teach all of the 5th and 6th graders in the school. They have 3 classes each week: 2 with me, and 1 with only they Korean teacher (in which they focus on learning and understanding the complexities of English grammar). I also teach 3 after school classes Tuesday-Thursday: a writing class for 5/6 grade, a painting class for 3-6 grade, and a introductory English class for 3/4 grade.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Korean Baseball Games

A Korean Wedding

Seoul Trick Eye Museum