Orientation - Last Day, Then Off to Ulsan

Our last night at orientation started off with the closing ceremony, in which they showed us a music video composed of many of the pictures and videos they had taken over the course of the orientation. It told about everything we did during orientation in order like a story. It was really well done and people cheered everytime they saw someone they knew in a picture (so for every singe one).



Be sure to click "HD" if you watch it, it's way better!
(I'm not in it much except the group photos and way background shots, but if you're curious, you can see me at 1:41, 1:45, 5:17, and 6:28)


After the ceremony, we had our farewell dinner. And by dinner, I mean feast. There was more food that anyone could possibly eat and it was all delicious! Our class leaders, Suzie and Jun, went around to all our tables to take one last selfie with us.



The following morning we all left Daejeon. For me and the 4 other Ulsan-ites from class 1, we loaded our luggage onto one of the two Ulsan buses from the long line, ate a quick breakfast and then were the first ones to leave because we had the longest drive ahead of us: 4 hours. (although it would have been way shorter if we hadn't had to take like 4 stops)


When we arrived in Ulsan, the buses and luggage truck parked in a large parking lot next to the soccer stadium on the edge of the city. Here, we all stood in a circle for the next hour or so as our Korean co-teachers arrived to pick us up one by one. Each time a new teacher pulled up, everyone looked up full of anxiety, worry, and judgment: wondering if they would be the next to go. Each time a new teacher approached holding a sign with someone's name on it, everyone would yell out the name and look around to pick them out and send them off. I got lucky and didn't have to sit through this agony for too long; I was the 11th or 12th to get picked up (out of about 65).

My co-teacher came with one of the other English teachers from my school that was more confident in and spoke better English. I saw my name as soon as they held up the sign, but everyone still yelled out, "Nicole..... Nicole Mekker!" After an awkward handshake and greeting, my friends helped my load my suitcases into the back of their car. I gave some quick good-bye hugs, not knowing when I would see my friends next and drove away into my new life in Ulsan, South Korea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Korean Wedding

Korean Baseball Games

Seoul Trick Eye Museum