Washington D.C. - Day 2

2019 Road Trip, Stop #3
Washington D.C.
Day 2

For the 2nd and last day in Washington D.C. I wanted to spend some time in the Smithsonian Museums. Once day, I would love to come to this city and spend an entire week or more readying every piece of information available in every single museum around the National Mall, but since I only had a few hours to spare, I chose two.

National Air and Space Museum


I started with the National Air and Space Museum. I have been here a few times in the past: once or twice on family vacations, and I think once on a school field trip. But it's really an inspiring museum, and since I didn't have enough time to see things in the depth I'd prefer, I figured I'd do something familiar.


Unfortunately, almost HALF of the museums exhibits were closed for renovations at the time, but I still got to see some of the more famous exhibits. Of course the main floor full of space crafts, satellites, and lunar module was open. They town over the giant open space on the main floor where the majority of the tourist crowds mill about in spectacle.



On the upper floors were open exhibits on famous pilots, including female icon Amelia Earhart.


As well as the exhibit I found most interesting: the invention of the airplane by the Wright Brothers. This was the only exhibit where I took the time and thoroughly read every piece of information. (again due to lack of time and not lack of interest in the other exhibits)


 National Museum of American History

The other museum I wanted to see on this trip was the National Museum of American History. It's a little peculiar that my worst subject in school was always history, and yet it's probably my favorite subject for museums. In each state I go to on this trip, I plan to seek our historical sights and history-focused museums. I guess learning about the stories in history was always my favorite part - I just struggled with remembering the names and dates that we needed to know for the tests in school.


One of the centerpieces to see at this museum is the original Star Spangled Banner, the flag that was flown in the Battle of Baltimore and inspired Francis Scott Key to write what would become the lyrics of our National Anthem.

The flag is enormous, much bigger than I expected, and no photography is allowed due to it's delicate state, but it truly a sight to see that sparks a bit of national pride.


One of my other favorite exhibits on this floor was about the history of the people which came together to become what the US is today.


The other exhibit I spent the most time in was the transportation exhibit, which had some really neat pieces from history showing technological advances over the year in trains, buses, cars, etc.


This museum was much bigger than I imagined and I barely had time to browse half of the exhibits here. I can't wait to to come back some day and really explore this place to the fullest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Korean Baseball Games

A Korean Wedding

Seoul Trick Eye Museum